Sunday, February 5, 2017

If Only I Could Teach the World to Do This

I went to book club, as I do every month and a half.  We had a political discussion.  Some of us are more pro-Trump.  Others of us are more anti-Trump. If you were a fly on the wall, you would not be able to tell which of us embraces which stance without listening carefully.  We disagreed without a single raised voice.  We politely corrected each other on unknown facts.  We asked each other why we believe as we do, and then we LISTENED.  As it turns out, nobody knows everything.  We each learned something. We can each learn from the "opposition".

I am saddened by people who lament that their families have been split apart by politics.  My own family comes from opposite camps.  But I will not stop talking to anyone because they love Trump.  I will question.  Then I will listen.  I will respond.  But I will not have my family split by this situation.  That would give bipartisan politics way too much power in my life.  I don't choose to yield that much control to any outside force.

We have to remember this.  Whether democrat or republican, we must be American first and foremost.

No comments:

Post a Comment